Free and Reduced Meal Program


Your child may be eligible for free or reduced price meals if your household income and family size meet the federal guidelines listed below.  If your gross income (before taxes) is at or below the level on the scale, your child is eligible for either free or reduced price meals. If you receive food stamps or temporary aid to needy families (TANF) for your child, they are eligible for free meals.  A foster child may get free or reduced price meals regardless of income. The reduced price meal is $.40 for lunch and $.30 for breakfast. The 2009-2010 Free and Reduced Meal Application is  BLUE  in color.

To Apply

For free or reduced price meals, please complete the household meal benefit application sent home at the beginning of the new school year. Only one application per household needs to be completed. Even if your children received free or reduced meals last year, you are still required to reapply every year. Meal benefit applications will be sent home at the beginning of school. You may also obtain an application from any school office, school cafeteria, the Child Nutrition office or the Brunswick County Schools Board of Education.

Return your completed, signed application to your youngest child's school office as soon as possible as it may take up to ten(10) days to process. You may also mail your completed application to: Brunswick County Schools, Child Nutrition Services, 35 Referendum Drive, Bolivia, NC 28422. A letter will be mailed to your home/mailing address notifying you of your child's eligibility status.  Once your child has been approved for free or reduced meal benefits, they are eligible for the entire school year.

Income Eligibility Chart

Household Size







$  386




$ 519




$  652




$  785




$ 918













For each additional household  member add

  $  6,919

$ 577

$  134

(Effective July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010)

"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 or (202) 720-6382 (TTY).  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."